Sunday, November 10, 2013

Wait it's that time of year already?

Apparently it is and it started in September. I know what we're all thinking surely we can have Halloween before you break out the Christmas stock giant retailers!
That's another story for another day.

Today's story is indeed about Christmas, last year I talked my sister into doing an Asian Christmas this year. Especially now we've discovered she likes firm tofu.
Now we've acquired my parents home for this year, so we've shifted the Asian inspired menu to New Year. Which I might add looks currently like this:- Marinated Baked Asian Tofu (Veganomicon), Crispy Stir-Fry Greens with Veggie Oyster Sauce & Steamed Long-Grain White Rice (both from Vegan Eats World).


My sister's plan for Christmas is we should do a special breakfast, which tentatively stands as Bagels (Vegan Brunch), Chocolate Croissants (Nigella Express) and my Mum's all time favourite Gingerbread Muffins (Feast by Nigella). Currently I'm dissatisfied with this line up, it needs something.

Mum was all like we should just do cold things on the day, cook the turkey roll the day before and serve it cold with salad.
I don't eat turkey and I'm allergic to that S word. That idea is getting no enthusiasm from me whatsoever.
As for my Dad, he's just excited he doesn't have to drive anywhere and gets to stay home.

I was perusing the Habitat Christmas catalog, not a lot of actual Christmas stuff this year and what there is seems to mainly consist of unattractive super expensive decorations. A tad disappointing.
But, they were advertising a creme brulee set, 4 ramekins, the blow torch and the butane gas. The sale runs till the 24th December, so if I save my pennies between now and then I may just be able to treat myself to a set for Christmas.

Since Christmas is shaping up to be a bit anti climatic food and cooking wise, I've devised my own menu for dinner. Have breakfast with the family, then I've go the rest of the day while there eating cold stuff ot faff about the kitchen making something awesome for myself.
The line up is:- Stuffed Thanksgiving Burger (minus the roll), Sweet Potato Mac n' Cheese, and some yet to be decided upon vegetables. Although I was thinking I'd really like gravy with those burgers and I thought I might make this gravy again, I really liked it the first time. And for dessert possibly, inspired by the Habitat catalog, Holiday Spiced Creme Brulee.

I love creme brulee, one of those kits has been on my birthday and Christmas lists for years. Sadly no one ever has gotten me one.
Of course the current alternative is a frozen dessert called a Winter Wonderland Peppermint Pie, white chocolate and peppermint. Sounds delicious. Or possibly in homage to the fact it's summer, another frozen dessert known as a Watermelon Bombe, a bit tricky to put together maybe but it would be a spectacular dessert to look at. And hopefully eat.

No comments: